Winter can be a tough time for me to feel motivated to take care of myself, but it’s the time of year when it’s most important to settle into some cozy simple routines that help me stay well. A nourishing breakfast is one of those cozy habits- I have oats 6 out of 7 days a week (the other day is bagels of course) and it works for me.
To make these lush and nutritious creamy golden oatmeal is simple to prepare. Heat a little coconut oil in a large pot, then add turmeric, cinnamon, and black pepper and heat for a minute. Add your soaked and rinsed steel cut oats along with water or plant milk, and bring to a boil. Cover and cook, then stir in maple syrup and coconut milk. Continue cooking until thickened and eat right away or save for future breakfasts.Print
Simple Creamy Golden Oatmeal
This warm and creamy golden oatmeal is flavored with earthy turmeric, naturally sweet maple syrup, and lush coconut milk. These steel cut oats can be prepared days in advance so you have a warm and nourishing breakfast to dig into each morning.
- 1 tbsp unrefined coconut oil
- 3/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- a few cracks of black pepper
- 1 cup of steel cut oats, soaked overnight
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup coconut milk from a can
- bring a large pot to medium-high heat and add the coconut oil. once it’s melted, add the turmeric, cinnamon, and black pepper to the oil and stir well.
- let the spices cook for a minute or two and then add the soaked and drained oats and the water.
- increase the heat to high until it comes to a boil and then stir well and reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 35 minutes.
- remove the lid and stir the oatmeal really well, making sure to scrape up the bottom of the pot which may have some oatmeal starting to stick. keep stirring to release the starch in the oats for a full minute or so. there should be some liquid left but the process of stirring should thicken it quite a bit.
- return the lid to the pot and cook for another 5 minutes until the oats are very thick and little to no liquid remains, then remove from heat and stir in the coconut milk and maple syrup. portion into 4 individual bowls or storage containers and top with extra maple syrup, coconut milk, and cinnamon if desired.