This seasonal gin cocktail features juicy blood oranges, ginger, fresh mint and lime, and sparkling water. A blood orange gin smash is the perfect cocktail for a winter afternoon. For a fun twist, you’ll torch the blood oranges with a little sugar and add a smoky depth of flavor to this vegan cocktail recipe.
about this recipe:
One of the joys I find in the depths of winter in Pennsylvania is the bounty of beautiful winter citrus. The deep ruby of a blood orange or the sunny yellow of a lemon are enough to brighten even the gloomiest winter mornings!
I love using winter citrus in drinks because it’s a cheap and flavorful way to make a casual evening mocktail or cocktail feel a little more special. For today’s recipe, I’m sharing one of my favorite ways to use blood oranges- by lighting them on fire and mixing with fresh ginger and mint in a gin smash!
This cocktail recipe is:
- fun to make
- easy to customize
- so delicious!
What you’ll need for this vegan cocktail:
To make my favorite wintery gin cocktail, you’ll only need a few fresh ingredients. See the troubleshooting and tips section for ingredient substitutions and variations!
- Blood oranges
- Fresh ginger
- Fresh mint leaves
- Sparkling water
How to make a burnt blood orange gin smash:
- Torch your citrus: Cut your blood oranges in half and sprinkle them with sugar. Using a blow torch and a heat-safe surface, carefully torch the sugar until it’s bubbly and burnt in spots. Set aside to cool off while you prepare the other elements.
- Muddle your ginger: Place your ginger slices and a pinch of salt into the bottom of a cocktail shaker or jar and use a cocktail muddler or a sturdy wooden spoon to vigorously smash the ginger and help it release its juices and flavors, about 60 seconds.
- Muddle your mint and lime: Add the mint leaves and lime wedges to the cocktail shaker with the ginger and muddle for another 30 seconds.
- Squeeze your blood oranges: Carefully squeeze the juice from all four of your blood oranges into the cocktail shaker.
- Add your gin and ice
- Stir or shake: Once all your ingredients are in the shaker, briefly shake or stir to combine.
- Strain: Strain your cocktail into a 12 oz glass with fresh ice.
- Fizz it up! Add your favorite sparkling water to top off each drink.
- Garnish: Add an optional burnt blood orange slice to each drink along with a lime wedge and mint leaves if desired.
Troubleshooting, tips, and more:
- Substituting other fruits: You can definitely substitute any other citrus or fruit you prefer or have on hand to make this drink your own! I think it would be particularly delicious with meyer lemons or even peaches and strawberries in the summer!
- If you don’t have fresh ginger, I’d suggest replacing both the ginger and the sparkling water with a ginger beer if you like strong ginger flavor or ginger ale if you don’t want that spicy ginger bite.
- Of course, please eliminate the gin if you’re not feeling a boozy beverage! I made sure to include plenty of fun strong flavors aside from the alcohol in case you prefer a virgin version. Or if you just hate gin, vodka would be great too.
- No blowtorch? The “burnt” element of this cocktail is definitely not required- just use the juice as is. You could also experiment with broiling or grilling your fruit instead- just be careful!
Thank you for stopping by and please be sure to share and review this recipe if you like it! To connect on Instagram, follow me @plantandsoulkitchen and tag me in your remakes- I love seeing your creations! xo JillianPrint
Burnt Blood Orange and Ginger Gin Smash
This seasonal gin cocktail features juicy blood oranges, fresh mint and lime, and sparkling water. For a fun twist, you’ll torch the blood oranges with a little sugar and add a smoky depth of flavor to this vegan cocktail recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: beverages
- 2 large blood oranges, plus more for garnish
- 2–3 tsp cane sugar
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- pinch of coarse salt
- generous handful fresh mint leaves
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 3 oz gin
- ice cubes
- sparkling water
- Cut your blood oranges in half. If garnishing with orange slices, cut several slices from another orange as well.
- On a heat safe surface, place your orange halves and slices cut side up and sprinkle generously with cane sugar. Using a blow torch, carefully torch the oranges until the sugar bubbles and some visible charring has occurred, about 2 minutes. Set the charred oranges aside to cool.
- In a cocktail shaker or large jar, add the thinly sliced ginger and a pinch of coarse salt. Using a cocktail muddler or a sturdy wooden spoon, vigorously smash the ginger slices to help release their flavors, about 60 seconds.
- Add the mint leaves and lime wedges to the shaker and muddle for another 30-60 seconds.
- Add the gin and a handful of ice cubes and stir or shake briefly to combine.
- In two cocktail glasses with fresh ice, strain the cocktail from the shaker. Top with sparkling water of choice and garnish with the burnt orange slices if desired.