This vegan hors d’oeuvre is a great way to show off the beauty of late summer plums. Sweet roasted plums are tender, juicy, and delicious paired with a tangy whipped coconut yogurt on a slice of crusty bread. Serve these roasted plum toasts next time you’re looking for an easy vegan appetizer.
Why make this recipe?
- It’s vegan friendly but appealing to everyone.
- It uses seasonal ingredients- plums are plentiful and affordable at the end of summer.
- It’s flexible- use another stone fruit or even a berry if you’re not feeling the plums.
- It’s easy but elevated- perfect for serving up for friends or treating yourself to something a little fancier than usual.
This easy vegan appetizer recipe requires only 10 simple ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- fresh ripe plums
- maple syrup or brown sugar
- coconut yogurt
- lemon juice
How to make roasted plum toasts:
This recipe couldn’t be simpler. Slice up your plums and toss them with maple syrup, cardamom, and a pinch of salt. Let them cook until tender and slightly caramelized.
While the plums are roasting, whip up your whipped coconut yogurt and set it aside while you toast your bread and prepare your garnishes.
Generously spread whipped coconut yogurt over each piece of toasted bread. Add some roasted plums to each piece along with a sprinkle of chopped pistachios and mint leaves.
Serve right away and keep the leftover components separate.
I think you’ll love this simple but beautiful little recipe. It’s such a lovely way to show off seasonal fruits and play with texture. If you’re joining friends for drinks and snacks, it would be super easy to put together at the last minute if you’re looking for something a little different than the usual chips and dip.
My Vanilla Fig Vodka Fizz cocktail would be such an amazing pairing with these toasts if you’re looking for another late summer, early fall recipe for a get-together. Cheers!
If you liked this recipe, please consider commenting and if you make it, I’d love to see your photos on Instagram. You can connect with me there and tag me @plantandsoulkitchenPrint
Roasted Plum Toasts with Whipped Coconut Yogurt
late summer plums. Sweet roasted plums are tender, juicy, and delicious paired with a tangy whipped coconut yogurt on a slice of crusty bread. Chopped pistachios, mint leaves, and cardamom round out the flavor profile of this easy vegan appetizer.
For the roasted plums:
- 4 ripe but firm red or black plums, pitted and sliced
- 1–3 tbsp sweetener of choice (I used a little maple a syrup and a little brown sugar)
- 1/4 tsp cardamom or 3 crushed cardamom pods
- pinch of salt
- splash of balsamic vinegar, optional
For the whipped coconut yogurt:
- 1 cup coconut yogurt
- 2 tbsp runny tahini
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- pinch of salt
To assemble your toasts:
- 1 baguette or other bread of choice
- mint leaves to garnish
- chopped pistachios to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375. In a baking dish lined with parchment paper, toss together your sliced plums, syrup or sugar, cardamom, salt, and optional balsamic vinegar. Cook for 20-30 minutes until the plums are very tender and the juices are bubbly, but be careful not to let the juices burn or the plums become too mushy.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor or with an immersion blender in a large mason jar, whip together the coconut yogurt, tahini, maple syrup, lemon juice, vanilla, cardamom, and salt. Transfer to a small bowl and put in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use.
- Slice and toast your bread.
- When the plums are finished roasting, let them cool for 10 minutes.
- Spread each slice of bread liberally with the whipped coconut yogurt, then place several slices of plum on top, followed by chopped pistachios and mint leaves. Add a touch of flaked salt if desired and serve right away.
Leave a Reply