This creamy vegan red lentil tomato soup is not only ready in 30 minutes- it requires only 10 simple ingredients! Perfect for a weeknight dinner along with a grilled cheese or a side salad, this vegan tomato soup recipe is a great for meal prep and packed lunches.
This is one of my favorite easy vegan dinners to make when I want a cozy bowl in front of me in a half an hour or less. I would not call this soup a dupe for Campbell’s tomato soup, but it definitely gives similarly wholesome and simple vibes without the dairy or the high sodium content.
What makes this vegan tomato soup special?
- HIDDEN PROTEIN This soup contains red lentils, an excellent source of plant protein.
- READY IN 30 MINUTES For those nights you just can’t be bothered to cook anything elaborate.
- DAIRY FREE That creamy factor normally found in non-vegan soups is replicated here with the help of vegan sour cream!
- BIG BATCH Cook once, eat twice. Or maybe three times!
- COZY AND NOSTALGIC If you loved tomato soup and grilled cheese as a kid, give this recipe a try with your family! The flavors are very kid-friendly (limit the red pepper flakes if necessary) and it makes for such a comforting meal.
How to make Weeknight Red Lentil Tomato Soup
For this simple 30 minute dinner recipe, you will only need 10 simple ingredients, not including salt and pepper.
- Olive oil
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Canned Tomatoes
- Red lentils
- Vegetable broth
- Fresh or dried thyme
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Fresh Parsley
That’s it! You’ll sauté the onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes before adding the tomatoes, lentils, vegetable broth, and thyme. Simmer for 15 minutes before blending with vegan sour cream and serving with chopped fresh parsley.
While your soup is cooking, whip up a fresh green salad or another vegetable side, or go with a classic grilled cheese and tomato soup combo.
I hope you love this soup! It’s protein rich, easy to make, and kid-friendly. The leftovers store well in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, so it’s a great option to make ahead.Print
Weeknight Red Lentil Tomato Soup
This creamy vegan red lentil tomato soup is not only ready in 30 minutes- it only contains 10 simple ingredients! Perfect for a weeknight dinner along with a grilled cheese or a side salad, this vegan tomato soup recipe is a great to meal prep and pack for lunch.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6+ servings 1x
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 3–4 sprigs of fresh thyme (or sub 1 tsp dried thyme or 1 tsp italian seasoning)
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 c red lentils
- 5 c veggie broth (or a mix of broth and water)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 c vegan sour cream (or substitute homemade cashew cream, see notes) + more to serve
- fresh parsley, optional
- Heat a large soup pot over medium with the olive oil. Saute the onions, garlic cloves, and red pepper flakes for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the thyme, tomatoes, red lentils, salt, pepper, and vegetable broth and/or water. Increase the heat to high until it boils.
- Stir well, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 15-18 minutes until the lentils are tender and starting to become mushy.
- Using an immersion blender or upright blender, you’re going to blend the soup with the vegan sour cream until smooth. If using an upright blender, you’ll most likely need to blend it in batches and may need to let it cool slightly. Carefully transfer the soup to the blender along with the sour cream and blend until smooth. If using an immersion blender, add the sour cream to the pot and carefully blend until smooth. Add more liquid to thin out the soup to your preference.
- Serve with chopped fresh parsley, a drizzle of vegan sour cream, and red pepper flakes. Store leftovers in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
to make cashew sour cream, soak 1/2 cup of raw cashews for 8 hours (or in boiling water for 20 minutes). Drain, rinse, and blend with 1/2 to 1 cup of water, a pinch of sea salt, and 1 tsp apple cider vinegar until smooth. Use in place of sour cream.
Thank you for stopping by! If you make this or any of my recipes, please tag me on Instagram @plantandsoulkitchen so we can connect! xo Jillian